Sunday, January 9, 2011

Project Flickr : Week 1 - Motion/Movement

Well, being on holiday, and having all day every day to play with the camera and explore new places, was a definite advantage.  The day we arrived, there were windsurfers trolling backwards and forwards, coming in real close to the beach and then turning and heading out again.  I wanted to try and catch them at the turn, but put it off for another day - sadly, they never came back for the rest of the week - opportunity lost! :(

In my first photo, I was trying to see movement from a different perspective.  This little winkle was moving so slowly that you could hardly see it, but it left a trail in the sand that clearly showed it had moved from somewhere and was going somewhere else.




The second shot was fairly impromptu.  I was out looking at some rock formations at Kiama, and came across a couple of lads jumping off the rocks into the sea.  I took a few of them (using burst mode) to catch their antics as they splashed into the water, but it was this one of one of the lads just launching himself off the rock that captured the movement best for me.



This final shot was pretty well planned.  It was a good surfing day, and so I went along the beach in search of some action.  A lot of the good guys were too far out for me to get really good shots of, though I did get a handful as they exhausted the waves and rode them right in to the shore.  Instead, I was concentrating on the youngsters playing closer to shore with their body boards, and was lucky to find this young girl who was presumably just starting out on her surfing career, and was just riding small waves close in, and practising getting up on the board.  I loved this shot of her just getting both hands off the board and finding her balance.  She was grinning from ear to ear after this one.

1 comment:

  1. I love that third one! It turned out great!

    I'm doing the 365 project, but might have to ditch it and try again next year because my camera is showing signs of dying... :-p I can't really afford a new one right now! *sobs*

    Can't wait to see more of your flickr group pics!

    ReplyDelete