Monday, February 21, 2011

February catchup plus weeks 5 and 6 of Project Flickr

I've been a bit tardy recently, and let the blog slip... busy life - things to do - you know how it is ;-)

So looking back at the pictures I've taken so far in February, let's see what I've been doing.



Project Flickr : Week 5 - A reflection study
As well as the reflection of my study, I did a couple of other shots that were more serious.  One was a reflection of the War Memorial in Hyde Park (that's Sydney, not London).  The reflection was rather fittingly in the 'Pool of reflection'.  I cropped the image at the point where reflection met reality, and then flipped the whole thing upside down, so that the reflection looked to be the actual War Memorial - albeit a slightly wobbly one.

Some eagle-eyed viewers spotted reflections of an Ibis and a Seagull right at the foot of the picture that I never noticed either while taking or cropping the image :-o


The other picture I took was of one of my favourite subjects, the Opera House.  I just love the different shapes you can find everywhere, and all the different textures and surfaces.  I never tire of looking at the patterns that the tiles on the roof make, and the fact that from a distance, you don't even realise they are there.  This shot of the sun reflecting off those tiles probably wasn't the best, as the sky was a bit overcast, and the sun not as bright as normal.  Having said that, the slightly flatter reflection probably helps highlight the tiles, rather than just burning them out.






While wandering around the other side of the Opera House, I stumbled across this view of the Harbour Bridge being reflected in the windows that curve around the back (or waterfront side) of the Opera House.  I tried a few shots, but wasn't that pleased with them.




Project Flickr : Week 6 - Strangers
As soon as this topic came up, I knew the picture I wanted to take...  Every morning, my wife and I stand on the platform at the station at exactly the same time, along with probably 100 or so other people, who we see there each day.  We all see each other, and recognise each other, and travel together, and sometimes even see each other up in the city at lunchtimes... yet we never speak to each other, and remain forever strangers.  Actually, this shot wasn't taken at my normal station - my son's car broke down and I had to take him to work, and then caught a train from a nearby station, which was far less busy than my local one.


(February 14th was Valentine's Day - I took Karen to see Michael Buble in concert.  It was a great evening, and I wish I could have taken my camera, but they are pretty strict on anything other than mobile phones and P&S cameras.  Mind you, looking at the huge lenses that the pros were using, I'd have been embarrassed to get my camera out of my bag!  So no pictures of Michael, I'm afraid...)

Lunchtime Walkabout - Feb 16th

While out for a walk, I came across the driver of a White 1976 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, waiting to take a bride from her hotel to some other location.  He was patrolling to make sure nobody got too close to the wonderful car - "People are just jealous..." he explained, "and it only takes a moment to scratch a key down the side of the car".  It is a sad reflection, but he is absolutely right - there is little respect for other people's possessions these days, and I can quite understand his nervousness and wanting to keep watch on the car - especially given the area he was parked in.








However, he was very happy to let me take some photos, and then we stood and chatted about the car for about 10 minutes, until his passenger was ready to be moved and I bid him farewell.

I was after 'elements' of the car that make it a Rolls Royce - obviously the 'Spirit of Ecstasy', or 'Flying Lady' had to be my #1 shot.  I also got this RR badge from the rear.  I also took some of the headlights, and the classic Rolls Royce radiator grille - but these were the best.



Well - it's getting late, so I'll post this now, and continue my catchup another night.

Till then - happy snappin'
Grum

No comments:

Post a Comment